You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Care homes and benefits - Benefits that can be paid if you live in a care home

When you or a member of your family go to live in a care home, the benefits you get may change.

Benefits that can be paid if you live in a care home

If you get any of the benefits listed below, the amount you get for yourself will not change if you live in a care home.

However, if you get any extra money in the benefit for another person, for example for a child or your partner, it is important for you to get advice about your situation. If you have a partner, it may be better for them to make their own claim for a benefit.  You can use our Find an Adviser tool to find a local adviser.

If you are claiming Universal Credit, you may be able to carry on receiving it when you are living in a care home. You also might be able to make a new claim for Universal Credit when you live in a care home.

If you pay all of your care home fees yourself,or the local authority is temporarily paying your care home fees for you while you sell a property and you are going to repay them once the property is sold, you can still get the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) care component, Personal Independence Payment daily living component, Adult Disability Payment daily living component or Attendance Allowance.

Reviewed: May 2022

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

Your situation

What's your situation?

Find information on benefits and grants that relates to your circumstances.

Your situation

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser