You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Adult Disability Payment Scotland - Can I get Adult Disability Payment Scotland?

Adult Disability Payment is a new benefit for adults with disabilities who live in Scotland.

Can I get Adult Disability Payment Scotland?


Adult Disability Payment is only available for people who live in Scotland. 

Adult Disability Payment is for people aged between 16 and State Pension age. If you are already getting Child Disability Payment or child Disability Living Allowance and you live in Scotland, you can stay on your existing benefits until you are 18.  

There is an Adult Disability Payment eligibility checker on the Scottish Government website  

Disability affecting daily living or mobility 

You may be entitled to Adult Disability Payment if you have daily living and/or mobility needs, or if you are terminally ill

Unless you are terminally ill or you are transferring onto Adult Disability Payment from Child Disability Payment, Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment your needs must: 

  • Have lasted for the past three months, and 

  • Be expected to continue for the next nine months. 

Daily living needs 

You may have daily living needs if your disability or health condition means you need help doing these things to look after yourself: 

  • Make food or cook 

  • Eat and drink 

  • Take your medication 

  • Do your treatment 

  • Wash and bathe 

  • Go to toilet 

  • Dress and undress 

  • Speak 

  • Read and understand 

  • Socialise 

  • Handle money 

It doesn't matter whether you actually get the help you need. 

Help can include things like encouraging or reminding you to do something. 

Mobility needs 

You may have mobility needs if you need help to get around outside your home independently. 

For example, you may count as having mobility needs if you need help to plan and follow a journey because of a learning difficulty, a mental health issue or a sensory impairment. 

You may count as having mobility needs if you have difficulty walking or are unable to walk. 

What help counts 

You count as needing help to do an activity if you need a person or a thing to: 

  • Do it for you 

  • Do it with you 

  • Remind you to do it 

  • Watch you do it to keep you safe 

You may count as needing help if you need help but do not actually get it. For example, if you do an activity yourself but: 

  • It isn’t safe 

  • You can’t do it well enough 

  • You can’t do it often enough 

  • It takes you a long time. 

Find out if you qualify 

To qualify for Adult Disability Payment, you have to score enough points on the  Personal Independence Payment (PIP) test for daily living or mobility (or both).

For more information about when points are given, check out our Personal Independence Payment (PIP) Test guide

Terminal illness 

If you are terminally ill, your claim for Adult Disability Payment is treated differently. 

You do not need to show you have had the condition for three months.  

You do not need to score points on the PIP test. 

You will automatically be awarded enhanced rate of daily living and mobility components. 

The Scottish Government uses a different definition of terminal illness to the English Government. The Scottish definition of terminal illness is based on your doctor’s opinion of your illness.  

You will need your doctor to fill in a BASRiS form for you to send to Social Security Scotland. 

Date of publication: August 2022

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Struggling with Energy and Water bills?

Find out what benefits, grants and other schemes may be available to you.

Read about help with energy and water costs

England: Council Tax Rebate April 2022

Read our Frequently Asked Questions guide.

Find out about the Council Tax Rebate

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser