You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Disabled, ill or injured

If you are ill, injured or have a disability, there may be benefits, grants or other financial support available to you.

Skip to content:

man with one arm sitting on a bench


To check what benefits you might be entitled to quickly and easily, you can use the Turn2us Benefits Calculator. The calculator cannot tell you whether you will be entitled to disability benefits but it can show you whether you would be entitled to extra benefits if you get a disability benefit.

To read more about the benefits available for people who are ill, injured or disabled, select from the list below:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - If you are aged between 16 and State Pension age and have extra care or mobility needs (difficulty getting around) as a result of a disability. If you have claimed PIP and want to know about the medical assessment, please see our PIP assessment guide 

If you live in Dundee City, Perth and Kinross or the Western Isles and want to make a new claim for a disability benefit, the claim will be for Adult Disability Payment Scotland.

Attendance Allowance - If you are over State Pension age, are affected by physical or mental illness or disability and you need help with your personal care.

Disability Living Allowance (children up to age 16) - If your child is aged under 16 and has extra care needs or mobility needs (difficulty getting around) as a result of a disability.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit - If you are disabled as a result of an accident at work or a disease caused by your job (but not if this is self-employment).

If you are unable to work because of your illness, injury or disability

If you are unable to work due to your illness, injury or disability, you may be able to claim one of the benefits below:

Universal Credit – if you are aged between 16 and Pension age and on a low income or aren’t working. It includes amounts for disabilities. For new claimants, Universal Credit replaces the help that used to be provided through income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). If you get a disability benefit, you should read our guide on Severe Disability Premium.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) - If you are aged 16 or over and under State Pension age and are unable to work because of sickness or disability. You have to have made enough national insurance contributions and you can't be getting Statutory Sick Pay.

Working Tax Credit - if you are already getting tax credits and satisfy the eligibility criteria, you might be able to get an extra amount in your working tax credits because of your disability.

Statutory Sick Pay - If you are an employee, you are sick and unable to work.

If you are getting income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), Housing Benefit or Pension Credit, check if you can get an extra amount called the Severe Disability Premium.

Related information


To find out what help may be available from grant-giving charities, you can use the Turn2us Grants Search

Advice and Support

Turn2us is unable to offer advice on individual situations. To find an adviser in your area to discuss your situation with you can use the Turn2us Find an Adviser

Further Information Resources

Disability issues


  • Scope: Disability charity providing information and general support.

England and Wales

Health and care assessments

Mental health issues

  • Mind: Advice and general support for anyone experiencing mental health issues.

Young wheelchair-users

  • Whizz-Kidz: Young wheelchair-users charity providing the vital equipment, support and life skills disabled children need to reach their full potential.

Updated: April 2022