You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Struggling with Energy and Water Bills

Financial support may be available to you. 

Skip to content:

Energy Schemes

If you are struggling to pay your energy bills, read our Energy Schemes guide to find out about the schemes and grants that may be available.

Charitable Grants

If you are struggling with energy and water bills, you may be able to get help from a charitable fund, depending on your background, circumstances and needs.

The help they give varies but might include:

  • Help with the cost of energy or water bills

  • Assistance to buy white goods such as fridges, cookers, washing machines

  • Specific winter grants.

Use our Grants Search to find charitable funds that may be able to help you.

Energy Efficiency

Many of us live in draughty homes and rely on heating systems or household appliances that are old and inefficient.

Having a home that is energy-efficient can make a big difference to your energy bills. 

If you need help with energy efficiency improvements in your privately owned or rented home, there are a schemes that may help.

Read our Energy Efficiency Guide for more information.

Water Schemes

If you are struggling to pay water bills, read our Water Schemes guide to find out about the  social tariff and grants schemes available to help towards the cost of water.


Some Government schemes may be available  if you are on certain benefits:

Winter Fuel Payments – A payment made to people over Pension Credit age to help with fuel costs.

Cold Weather Payments – If you are on a low income, you may be eligible for these if the average temperature in your area falls to 0° Celsius or below for seven days in a row.

Use our Benefits Calculator to check your entitlement to benefits.

Help from your local council

The government has provided extra funding to local councils to support people on low incomes struggling this winter (2021-2022). If you are unable to pay your bills, ask your local council if they have a scheme that can help you. If you have trouble finding the page use a google search, e.g. "Lincolnshire council help with bills", will find the exact page you need.

Advice and Support

Turn2us is unable to offer advice on individual situations. To find an adviser in your area to discuss your situation with, you can use the Turn2us Find an Adviser.


Mary's story

Mary could claim £73.10 a week in JSA, £720 a month Housing Benefit and a Council Tax Reduction

Find out more about Mary

Struggling with Costs of Living?

Find out what help may be available to you through benefits, grants and other sources of support.

Read our Costs of Living Help guide