You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Challenging a Council Tax Support decision - Have the decision looked at again

Find out more about Challenging a Council Tax Support decision.

Have the decision looked at again

If you think a Council Tax Support decision is wrong, you should ask the local authority to look at the decision again.


Write to your local authority using the contact details on your Council Tax bill and ask them to look at the decision again.

Make sure you include the following details in your letter:

  • Your name and contact address

  • Your council tax reference number from your council tax bill

  • An explanation of the reasons why you think the decision is wrong. Include any information, such as relevant dates, to support your reasons

  • Any evidence that supports your reasons, such as copies of a letter from your doctor, a bank statement or a wage slip 

  • Your signature. 

If you can, you should send the letter to the local authority by 'recorded delivery' to make sure there is proof of when it was sent and also keep a copy of the letter.

A different decision maker will look at the decision originally made and the information you have provided and will decide whether the decision should be changed.

If they ask you for more information or evidence, you should provide this as soon as possible and let them know if there will be a delay.  

Time limits

In England and Wales, you have one month from the date on the original decision letter to ask for the decision to be looked at again. In Scotland you have two months.

If you missed the deadline for reasons out of your control, such as illness or bereavement, you may still be able to have your decision looked at again. If this is the case, when you write to the local authority, you should explain why your request is late.

Possible outcomes

You should receive a written response within two months.

If the local authority decide that the decision is wrong, it will be changed and you will get a new decision letter.

If they decide that they can’t change the decision, they will write to you to confirm this and tell you if you have a right to appeal against this decision.

If you still think the decision is wrong

You may be able to appeal against the decision, find out more on the next page.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

Your situation

What's your situation?

Find information on benefits and grants that relates to your circumstances.

Your situation

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser