You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Challenging a Budgeting Loan decision - Have the decision looked at by the Independent Case Examiner’s office (ICE)

Your options if you think a Budgeting Loan decision is wrong

Have the decision looked at by the Independent Case Examiner’s office (ICE)

You must ask the benefit office to look at the decision again before you can have the decision looked at by an officer at the Independent Case Examiner's office (ICE).

You should ask the Independent Case Examiner's office to look at the decision again if you think the decision is still wrong. The ICE is an independent organisation, completely separate from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).


Contact the ICE office in writing using the contact details on your decision letter and ask them to look at the decision again.

In your letter you should include:

  • Your name and contact details

  • Your national insurance number

  • Details of the item(s) you applied for

  • The date of the decision made by the benefit office

  • Details of why you disagree with the decision made by the benefit office

A decision maker will look at the decision and decide whether it should be changed.

You may be asked for more information or evidence. You should provide it as soon as possible and let them know if there is likely to be a delay.


Time limits

You have 28 days from the date on the latest decision letter.

If you missed the deadline for reasons out of your control, such as illness or bereavement, you may still be able to have your decision looked at again.

If you have missed the time limit, you should explain why when you contact the ICE office.


Possible outcomes

When the decision has been looked at again, if the ICE office decide that it is wrong, the decision will be changed and you will be sent a new decision letter. 

The benefit office will prepare your payment but this will not be ready on the same day that you receive your decision.

If the ICE office decide that they can’t change the decision, they will write to you to confirm this.

This should take no longer than 21 working days.


If you still think the decision is wrong:

You may be able to ask the court for permission to apply for a Judicial Review of the decision. You will need specialist advice for this. Find an Adviser tool

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

Your situation

What's your situation?

Find information on benefits and grants that relates to your circumstances.

Your situation

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser