You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Armed Forces Compensation Scheme - How do I challenge an Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Decision?

The Armed Forces Compensation Scheme provides financial help if you have an illness or injury caused by service in the Armed Forces on or after 6 April 2005.

How do I challenge an Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Decision?

If you do not agree with your Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) claim decision, you can ask for the decision to be reconsidered. This means that your claim will be looked at again by a different assessing officer.

Requests for a decision to be reconsidered must be made in writing, within 12 months of the date on your notification.

You will need to give reasons for your request:

  • Explaining why you consider the decision is wrong

  • Providing any information that relates to your injury/illness which were not provided at the time your claim was originally considered and that you think will help with the reconsideration.

If you ask for a decision to be reconsidered, you will be notified in writing,

Veterans UK will either:

  • Uphold the original decision, or

  • Change the original decision.

If you still feel the decision is wrong, you can appeal to an independent tribunal within 12 months.

If the tribunal rejects your appeal, you can request the written reasons for their decision. You have six weeks from receiving the reasons to appeal their decision

The steps that you must take in order to appeal depend on where you live. You can get further details on appealing from Veterans UK:

Call their helpline on: 0808 1914 2 18 (UK) or +44 1253 866 043 (Overseas)
Post: Veterans UK, Norcross, Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, FY5 3WP.

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

Your situation

What's your situation?

Find information on benefits and grants that relates to your circumstances.

Your situation

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser