You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

The Mandatory Reconsideration Notice is a letter which tells you if the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or HMRC has changed their decision or not, and why.

You have to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration before you can get the Mandatory Reconsideration Notice.

If you disagree with the Mandatory Reconsideration Notice, you can appeal to a Tribunal. The Tribunal is separate to the DWP or HMRC.  If you are challenging a decision of the DWP or HMRC, you won’t be able to appeal to the Tribunal until you get the Mandatory Reconsideration Notice.  However, if you are appealing a decision by the council (for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support) you can ask for appeal, without having to ask the council to look at their decision again.