You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Challenging a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) Decision - PIP Judicial Review

You may be able to have a decision about Personal Independence Payment (PIP) changed.

PIP Judicial Review

Judicial review is when a court looks at how a decision was made.

A court may review a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) decision or a process to check that the DWP followed the law when they made the decision or used the process. 

You may want to ask for judicial review if:

  • It is taking far too long to get a decision
  • Your PIP award was stopped or reduced but you didn’t get a letter about it
  • The DWP made a mistake that affects your PIP and they have refused to look at it again
  • The procedures that DWP staff follow stop them from applying the law correctly.

You can’t ask for judicial review if you can ask for mandatory reconsideration or appeal instead.

Time limits

You normally have to start a judicial review application within three months of the decision, action or failure that you are unhappy about.

Apply for Judicial Review

Judicial review is a complicated process. If you want to know more about judicial review and whether it is right in your case, you should get legal advice as soon as possible.

You can find legal advice near you using our Find an Adviser tool

Reviewed: February 2022

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page


Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator