You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Benefit Cap - What Government help is available?

The Benefit Cap is a limit to the total amount in some benefits that working-age people can get.

What Government help is available?

Government help

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) provides help with moving from benefits to work.

Your Jobcentre Plus advisor can tell you about different schemes like the Work Programme, Work Clubs and Work Trials to help you apply for jobs and get work experience.  

You can find out more about schemes for moving from benefits to work on the "Help with moving from benefits to work" page of the Gov.UK website

If you have a disability or mental health problem which makes it difficult for you to attend interviews or keep a job, you may qualify for assistance from the Access to Work programme.  The Access to Work scheme can provide support at work and may also pay for changes or equipment in the workplace.  You can find out more about it on the "Access to Work" page of the Gov.UK website.

There are different schemes for helping with childcare which you can read about on our Help with Childcare Costs page.

Other help

Make sure you have read the section in this guide What are my options if I am affected by the Benefit Cap?

If you are worried that you will be evicted because the Benefit Cap means you cannot afford your rent, you can ask your local council for help. Most councils run a Housing Support Service, sometimes called “Floating Support”.  They can provide a support worker to help you take steps to avoid eviction.

You can always use our Find an Adviser tool to search for an advisor near you, for help sorting out your benefits or taking other steps to increase your income.

Updated January 2022

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

Your situation

What's your situation?

Find information on benefits and grants that relates to your circumstances.

Your situation

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser