You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Child Tax Credit - What is Child Tax Credit?

Child Tax Credit is paid to help people with the costs of bringing up a child. It is being replaced by Universal Credit so only some people can still claim Child Tax Credit.

What is Child Tax Credit?

Child Tax Credit is paid to help people with the costs of bringing up a child. 

Only one household can get Child Tax Credit for each child.

You don’t need to be working to get Child Tax Credit.

Child Tax Credit does not include any help with the costs of childcare. If you are already getting tax credits and you are working on a low income, you may be entitled to Working Tax Credit and this benefit can include help with childcare costs.

You can’t claim tax credits and Universal Credit at the same time. Child Tax Credit is being replaced by Universal Credit. Please go to 'Can I get Child Tax Credit?' for information on who can still claim.

Applies to: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

Age rules: You can get Child Tax Credit if you are 16 or over.

If you are under 16 your parents, or someone who is responsible for you, could include you and your child in their own claim.

Type of benefit: Means tested

Taxable: No

Administered by: HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)

Reviewed: May 2022

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

Your situation

What's your situation?

Find information on benefits and grants that relates to your circumstances.

Your situation

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser