You are now leaving the Turn2us site. Turn2us is not responsible for content on third party sites.

Armed Forces Independence Payment - Can I get an Armed Forces Independence Payment?

The Armed Forces Independence Payment provides financial support to seriously injured service personnel and veterans

Can I get an Armed Forces Independence Payment?

Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP) is an alternative to Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Adult Disability Payment Scotland or Disability Living Allowance (DLA). You cannot get AFIP and PIP/DLA for the same period.

To be eligible for an Armed Forces Independence Payment, you must be entitled to a Guaranteed Income Payment (GIP) of 50% or higher of your previous earnings through the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme.

If you are not sure of the rate of your GIP, you can contact the Veterans UK Helpline on 0808 1914 2 18

If you are not entitled to a 50% GIP award or over, you can still apply for PIP in the usual way.

If you receive compensation from the War Pensions Scheme, you will not be entitled to an Armed Forces Independence Payment as you have access to other allowances designed to cover the additional costs related to disability.

Updated: May 2022

Anything wrong with this page?

Tell us the problem

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter what you were doing
Please enter what you'd like to report
Please enter the security code shown

Thank you

If you would like to tell us more please visit our contact page

Your situation

What's your situation?

Find information on benefits and grants that relates to your circumstances.

Your situation

Check benefit entitlement

Find out what means-tested benefits you might be entitled to, including tax credits.

Use the Benefits Calculator

Grants Search

Search our database of grant-giving organisations

Search for grants

Find a Local Adviser

Search for your nearest sources of information and advice

Find an Local Adviser